How to identify young carers?
Often, we hear people say “I don’t know a young carer.” But if more of us know what we are looking for, you find out that many people in your life might be a young carer. You might even be a young carer without knowing that there are words to describe what you do!
- Do you know a young person that has a sibling with a learning disability or attends a special school or classes?
- Can you think of someone who attends or transports their loved ones to health appointments?
- Do you have friends or family who have been diagnosed with a long-term or recurring medical condition?
- Do you know anyone who has mobility issues and is assisted by their family members or friends?
- Has someone you know missed school, sports, or excursions due to a family member being ill or diagnosed with a health condition, disability, or addiction?
- Do you and your family or know of people who visit or stay with their grandparent(s) because they are aged, or in an aged care home?
If you answered yes to any of the questions, you have just identified a young carer!